1 Setup your hardware
You need one small server for MAAS and at least one server which can be managed with a BMC. It is recommended to have the MAAS server provide DHCP and DNS on a network the managed machines are connected to.
2 Install Ubuntu Server
Download Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS and follow the step-by-step installation instructions on your MAAS server.
3 Install MAAS
4 Create admin user
Create your admin credentials by typing.
Login to the MAAS UI at http://<your.maas.ip>:5240/MAAS/
5 Complete the first user configuration journey
Follow the instructions on screen to complete the first installation of MAAS. We recommend using the default values unless your installation has different requirements.
By the end of the journey you should have the following configured;
- Region name (MAAS name)
- Ubuntu archive, Ubuntu extra architectures
- Ubuntu images
- SSH keys (for currently logged in user)
6 Turn on DHCP
7 Enlist and commission servers
Now MAAS is ready to enlist and commission machines.
- Set all the servers to PXE boot
- Boot each machine once. You should see these machines appear in MAAS
- If your machines do not have a IPMI based BMC, proceed to edit them and enter their BMC details
- Select all the machines and “Commission” them using the “Take action” button
- When machines have a “Ready” status you can start deploying